Falklands hero to salute local heroes
Ian Clarke Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.
The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
The search is on for those who have done selfless acts, devoting time and energy to help others, displayed bravery in tough times and recognising people whose actions, strength and support has made a real difference.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Weston, OBE, has displayed amazing inspiration since the war in the South Atlantic.
A Breckland spokesman said: “The face of the Simon Weston who returned from the bombing of the Sir Galahad is recognised the world over, not for his disfigurement from 46pc burns but for the optimism which he radiates. His determination has inspired courage and the will to excel in countless others. Simon's message is one of achievement, of triumph over adversity, of seizing the moment and succeeding.”
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
- 9 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 10 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
Mr Weston will be at the awards event at Lynford Hall, near Thetford, on March 20.
The deadline for nominations is January 31 and there are nine categories - Carer of the Year, Community Group of the Year, Greener Breckland, Sporting Excellence, Top Achiever, Child of Courage (under 16s), Good Friend/Neighbour, Young Performer(s) of the Year (under 21s) and Safer Breckland.
Full information on the awards can be found on the home page of www.edp24.co.uk.