Falklands hero to salute local heroes
Ian Clarke Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.
The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
The search is on for those who have done selfless acts, devoting time and energy to help others, displayed bravery in tough times and recognising people whose actions, strength and support has made a real difference.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Weston, OBE, has displayed amazing inspiration since the war in the South Atlantic.
A Breckland spokesman said: “The face of the Simon Weston who returned from the bombing of the Sir Galahad is recognised the world over, not for his disfigurement from 46pc burns but for the optimism which he radiates. His determination has inspired courage and the will to excel in countless others. Simon's message is one of achievement, of triumph over adversity, of seizing the moment and succeeding.”
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 3 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 4 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 5 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 6 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
Mr Weston will be at the awards event at Lynford Hall, near Thetford, on March 20.
The deadline for nominations is January 31 and there are nine categories - Carer of the Year, Community Group of the Year, Greener Breckland, Sporting Excellence, Top Achiever, Child of Courage (under 16s), Good Friend/Neighbour, Young Performer(s) of the Year (under 21s) and Safer Breckland.
Full information on the awards can be found on the home page of www.edp24.co.uk.