Thetford pupil, 7, performs poem live on-stage at The Globe
- Credit: Marcus Duran
A pupil passionate about poetry performed his recitation in front of hundreds of people including poets Simon Armitage, Valerie Bloom and Michael Rosen.
Benji Morris, seven, from Norwich Road Academy in Thetford, performed live onstage at The Globe on Monday, July 19 as part of Poetry by Heart's award ceremony.
The Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE) recognised Benji as a winner in the nationwide shadowing scheme that runs as part of the CLiPPA (CLPE Children’s Poetry Award).
He impressed judges with his "sparkling recitation" and actions of the poem Fireworks by Anna E Jordan, and was asked to perform it among other shadowers as part of the celebrations for the announcement of this year’s CLiPPA shortlist.
Benji said: "I was surprised and also really excited to hear that I had won the competition and would be going to The Globe.
You may also want to watch:
"I was quite nervous as well about going on stage but I practised the poem I was reading lots and lots of times to be ready."
Louise Johns-Shepherd, CLPE chief executive, said: ‘Benji’s performance of Fireworks really brings it to life."
- 1 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 2 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 3 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 4 Pet crematorium plans submitted but residents have air concerns
- 5 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 6 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 7 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 9 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 10 Man, 38, in court after stab victim left with leg and stomach wounds