Dick's happy to be a big loser!
Slimmer Dick Baker from Hockwold has been announced as one of the UK's Greatest Losers at an awards ceremony in London.Dick, who lost just over 15st achieved second place and was recognised with a personalised award and certificate presented by Slimming World's managing director Caryl Richards.
Slimmer Dick Baker from Hockwold has been announced as one of the UK's Greatest Losers at an awards ceremony in London.
Dick, who lost just over 15st achieved second place and was recognised with a personalised award and certificate presented by Slimming World's managing director Caryl Richards.
The awards ceremony took place at the glamourous Kensington Roof Gardens, which has exotic gardens and panoramic views of London at 100ft above street level.
Long-distance trucker Dick spent his life on the road living on huge road café fry-ups, chunky sandwiches, crisps and thick buttered toast which sent his weight soaring to almost 30st.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I'd been overweight for 30 years. By the time I reached 24st I was having problems breathing, I had angina, my blood pressure was up and when I made a delivery I was having a job just walking from my tanker to the local canteen. My health and mobility have both been transformed since I've lost the weight. The doctor says the angina is gone and my blood pressure is normal. Before I lost the weight I'd sit at home every night eating crisps and doing jigsaws. Now I've become a parish councillor, I walk, and even taken up cycling - and it's 40 years since I last rode a bike.”
Dick attends the Brandon Slimming World group which runs on Tuesdays at 6.30pm at the Brandon Church Institute.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 3 GPS equipment stolen from five tractors in village
- 4 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
- 5 New phase of consultation over major estate revamp to begin
- 6 'Like a little Hitler' - Fury as row breaks out at council meeting
- 7 Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab to share access to mansion after PM ruling
- 8 Community should have bigger say on development, says councillors
- 9 Man wanted for Thetford assault found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 10 Do you remember when Tornado's rumble caused village uproar?