‘We have not given up’ – Corrie’s mother speaks out over missing son search
PUBLISHED: 11:51 31 July 2018 | UPDATED: 11:52 31 July 2018
The mother of missing RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague has vowed to keep fighting for answers.
Nicola Urquhart revealed she has “not given up” on the search for her son, who vanished from the streets of Bury St Edmunds in September 2016.
Her remarks follow comments made by Corrie’s father Martin McKeague, who said he was “certain” his son is in the waste disposal system – and his remains are “essentially irretrievable”.
Mr McKeague also claimed his son is “no longer missing”.
In a Facebook post, Ms Urquhart wrote: “If any person feels they have the answers they need to move on, I completely respect that.
“I can only keep fighting for the answers I need – to do what helps me, my sons and our family through this.
“This is not a criticism of how any other person deals with their guilt or grief.”
She said a coroner has refused to issue a death certificate, saying Corrie is missing presumed dead – and that she agrees with this position.
“We have not given up,” she wrote.
“Corrie is missing, he has not been found, nor has there been any corroborated evidence shown to me yet to say what has happened to my son.”
She continued: “Although to the very depths of my soul, I know and feel Corrie is not AWOL.
“I cannot state this is a fact, as there is no proof it is not the case – just a lack of any proof it is.”
Police believe Corrie climbed into a waste bin and was taken away by a refuse lorry after a night out on September 24, 2016.
Officers spent 27 weeks searching landfill for the gunner, who was based at RAF Honington, but no trace of him was found.
Police announced in March that the search for Corrie would be stood down, adding that the investigation was being handed over to a cold case squad.
He had been stationed at RAF Honington, about 10 miles from Bury St Edmunds.