College shortlisted for apprenticeships and career guidance awards
- Credit: Archant
A college has been shortlisted for prestigious awards for its apprenticeships and career guidance for students.
West Suffolk College has been shortlisted for the two top awards by the Association of Colleges (AoC), which celebrate the best and most innovative practice among the UK’s further education and sixth form colleges.
The college, which has a campus in Mildenhall, is one of two up for the Award for the Promotion and Delivery of Successful Apprenticeships and The Careers and Enterprise Company Careers Education and Guidance Award.
Known as the Beacon Awards, 68 colleges entered this year and a shortlist was compiled before assessors visited West Suffolk College and other finalists to see how the evidence on the ground matched the initiatives.
Principal of West Suffolk College, Dr Nikos Savvas, said: “We are very pleased to be shortlisted for such prestigious awards which are highly thought of as they celebrate the best and most innovative practices among further education colleges.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a well deserved achievement for our hard working staff.”
Carole Stott MBE, chairman of the AoC Charitable Trust, said: “Being shortlisted for a Beacon Award highlights not only the good work of the colleges, but also the impact on students and communities.
- 1 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond
- 2 46-year-old man charged with woman's murder
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 Four schools set to expand due to new housing developments
- 5 Bosses at hospital criticised for whistleblower 'witch-hunt' step down
- 6 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 7 House-to-house enquiries take place after woman's body identified
- 8 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 9 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 10 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
“The high standard of submissions to the AoC Beacon Awards is testament to the innovation which takes place across the UK.
“Great colleges transform lives and communities. They meet the needs of employers and students by embracing new approaches to teaching, learning and leadership.
“The shortlist for this year’s Beacon Awards is testament to this.”
The Beacon Awards winners will be announced on the evening of November 14 in Birmingham at the AoC Annual Conference and Exhibition dinner.