College shortlisted for apprenticeships and career guidance awards
- Credit: Archant
A college has been shortlisted for prestigious awards for its apprenticeships and career guidance for students.
West Suffolk College has been shortlisted for the two top awards by the Association of Colleges (AoC), which celebrate the best and most innovative practice among the UK’s further education and sixth form colleges.
The college, which has a campus in Mildenhall, is one of two up for the Award for the Promotion and Delivery of Successful Apprenticeships and The Careers and Enterprise Company Careers Education and Guidance Award.
Known as the Beacon Awards, 68 colleges entered this year and a shortlist was compiled before assessors visited West Suffolk College and other finalists to see how the evidence on the ground matched the initiatives.
Principal of West Suffolk College, Dr Nikos Savvas, said: “We are very pleased to be shortlisted for such prestigious awards which are highly thought of as they celebrate the best and most innovative practices among further education colleges.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a well deserved achievement for our hard working staff.”
Carole Stott MBE, chairman of the AoC Charitable Trust, said: “Being shortlisted for a Beacon Award highlights not only the good work of the colleges, but also the impact on students and communities.
- 1 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 2 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 3 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 6 WATCH: Norfolk troops train ahead of peacekeeping mission in Mali
- 7 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 8 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 9 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
“The high standard of submissions to the AoC Beacon Awards is testament to the innovation which takes place across the UK.
“Great colleges transform lives and communities. They meet the needs of employers and students by embracing new approaches to teaching, learning and leadership.
“The shortlist for this year’s Beacon Awards is testament to this.”
The Beacon Awards winners will be announced on the evening of November 14 in Birmingham at the AoC Annual Conference and Exhibition dinner.