Charity scoops national award
- Credit: Archant
A community and business centre is celebrating after scooping a national award.
The Charles Burrell Centre, in Thetford, won the Locality 'Most Enterprising Organisation' category for its work transforming the former high school into a multi-purpose hub with more than 40 tenants.
Mike Brindle, chairman of the centre's board of directors, said: "It is testament to the hard work of all our staff, board members and volunteers and of course the support that we have received from the local community.
"We originally set up to save a much loved former high school but through Charles Burrell Centre we've been able to do so much more and provide a whole range of new services to benefit local residents".
Locality supports community organisations and has more than 600 members which benefit from specialist advice, peer learning and campaigning support.
You may also want to watch:
The centre won a trophy, £1,000 cash prize to invest into the community and the creation of a professional video.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack