Celebrity sporting auction goodies go on show
A preview of items up for grabs at a charity sporting auction at the end of the month is being held in Thetford on Tuesday. The collection, from a drawing by notorious prisoner Charles Bronson so a tie signed by ex-prime minister Tony Blair, will be on show at Thetford Cricket Club.
A preview of items up for grabs at a charity sporting auction at the end of the month is being held in Thetford on Tuesday.
The collection, from a drawing by notorious prisoner Charles Bronson so a tie signed by ex-prime minister Tony Blair, will be on show at Thetford Cricket Club.
There has already been great interest in the auction, set up to raise cash to build a new clubhouse on the site. And as well as potential bidders, a number of new lots have also been added. This includes a 1930s cricket bat and a signed print of Chris Eubank.
They have been collected by “cricket widow” Emma Newey whose husband Darren is captain of the Thetford town team. The clubhouse, at the Mundford Road ground, was condemned in 2004 and is due to be demolished.
You may also want to watch:
But a new clubhouse will depend on how much is raised at the auction and what they can get from the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Other items in the auction include a 1981 Test Match tea towel, an autographed Surrey County Cricket bat, a cricket bat signed by ex-prime minister Sir John Major and a Thetford cricket shirt signed by 20 players from the England and New Zealand teams in 2008.
- 1 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 2 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 3 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 4 A11 reopens following earlier collision
- 5 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Man found near air base with gun, axe and lock knife sentenced
- 8 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 9 Military drones to fly above Norfolk RAF base
- 10 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
Among those who have sent signatures on photographs, T-shirts and other items are Sir Ian Botham, Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Henry Cooper, Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Kevin Pietersen, David Gower, Andrew Flintoff and Allan Lamb and many other sports stars.
There are also signatures from comedian Peter Kay, film stars Anthony Hopkins and Michael Caine, and many other well-known figures, from Lauren Bacall and Jackie Chan to the cast of EastEnders and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams.
To help the cause, the British Trust for Ornithology in Thetford has given its venue for free for the auction, and Bonhams has offered a free auctioneer from its Bury St Edmunds office.
t The preview is on Tuesday from 6.30pm until 7.45pm at the cricket club in Mundford Road, Thetford.
t The auction is on Sunday, May 31, viewing from 11am, sale at 1pm. Interested bidders can go on the club website to place advanced bids and view lots: www.thetfordcricket.org.uk
For a paper version of the catalogue contact Darren Newey on 07515 379273 or call 01842 764216.