Cat loses leg in gin trap
A cat owner has spoken of her shock after her beloved pet had to have one of its legs amputated after getting caught in a suspected illegal trap.One-year-old Belle is recovering at home and coming to terms with losing one of her nine lives after becoming victim to what is believed to have been a gin trap near her Thetford home.
A cat owner has spoken of her shock after her beloved pet had to have one of its legs amputated after getting caught in a suspected illegal trap.
One-year-old Belle is recovering at home and coming to terms with losing one of her nine lives after becoming victim to what is believed to have been a gin trap near her Thetford home.
Her owner Becky Tungate, of Elgin Way, called on residents to be vigilant yesterday after the maimed cat was trapped in woods near the Abbey Estate.
The 27-year-old said she and her six-year-old daughter Lauren McCormick were left distraught by the incident, which happened on Saturday, April 26.
Miss Tungate said she started to get concerned for the welfare of Belle after she found blood on her patio at 7.30am and no sign of her black cat. Her family began a search of the estate and local woods before her pet was found limping up Elgin Way three hours later with part of her right front leg missing.
Miss Tungate, who has had to fork out more than £500 in veterinary bills, said it was a “miracle” that her cat had survived the injury and blood loss. Belle had to have her leg amputated up to her shoulder blade and spent four days at Eastgate Veterinary Surgery, in Thetford.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
It is believed that the injury was caused by the spring-operated jaws of a gin trap, which have been outlawed in the UK since the 1950s.
Miss Tungate, who reported the incident to Norfolk Police and the RSPCA, said: “It is horrific when something like this happens to an animal, but a lot of children play in the forest and I want to make people aware of what could be in the forest. It is bad enough for this to happen to a family pet and I don't want it to happen to a child.”
“I do not understand it and I feel angry that it has happened. My cat is like a family member and my daughter was so upset and beside herself about it.”
Sophie Wilkinson, spokeswoman for the RSPCA, said inspectors were investigating the potential illegal trapping incident. She added that anyone found guilty of setting a gin trap or snare, which causes unnecessary suffering to an animal, faces a maximum £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.