Cancer patient's Far East bike ride
A cancer patient is gearing up for a cycle ride in south east Asia to help a hospital department that got her through her treatment.Stephanie Saunders from Thetford is preparing to peddle 500km from Vietnam to Cambodia next year with her friend Theresa Webster from Norwich to raise funds for three charities.
A cancer patient is gearing up for a cycle ride in south east Asia to help a hospital department that got her through her treatment.
Stephanie Saunders from Thetford is preparing to peddle 500km from Vietnam to Cambodia next year with her friend Theresa Webster from Norwich to raise funds for three charities.
The 25-year-old was diagnosed with skin cancer a year and a half ago and had four operations to remove melanomas from her body.
Miss Saunders, who was given the all clear in April but has to have regular check-ups, is now fundraising for the West Suffolk Hospital's dermatology department as she prepares for a charity ride from Saigon, Vietnam, to Siem Reap, Cambodia, in January.
You may also want to watch:
The cycling duo are hoping to raise more than £5,000 for the West Suffolk Hospital, Norwich-based mental health organisation Discovery Quest, and East Anglia's Children's Hospices and have already hit the £3,200 mark.
The two intrepid cyclists will be flying off to south east Asia on January 23 to cover a distance of around 500km in 6 days through difficult terrain and high humidity.
- 1 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 9 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
Their friend, Paul Elder, of Honington, helped generate £400 for the good causes by having his chest and legs waxed at Finishing Touches beauty salon in Thetford earlier this month.
The two women took part in a sponsored challenge activity cay in the Lake District at the weekend and are organising a pool competition at the ex-servicemen's club in Thetford on Sunday.
To take part, email Miss Saunders at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be sponsored online at www.mycharitypage.com/tezzawebster72.