Call to protect historic buildings
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.
Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.”
But during a full council meeting, Terry Lamb said the role should be stronger and should be “ensuring” historic buildings were protected.
“I have been critical of this council's role on historic buildings and it not being effective enough. The council has allowed listed buildings to deteriorate over the years and to me it has been ineffective on particular incidents.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lamb added: “While I welcome this councillor being introduced, his responsibility should be to attempt to ensure rather than promote.”
Breckland leader William Nunn said: “A single member cannot ensure it and we thought it was fairer to be a promoter. It is not right that he should be held responsible.”
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
- 10 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development