Call to protect historic buildings
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.
Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.”
But during a full council meeting, Terry Lamb said the role should be stronger and should be “ensuring” historic buildings were protected.
“I have been critical of this council's role on historic buildings and it not being effective enough. The council has allowed listed buildings to deteriorate over the years and to me it has been ineffective on particular incidents.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lamb added: “While I welcome this councillor being introduced, his responsibility should be to attempt to ensure rather than promote.”
Breckland leader William Nunn said: “A single member cannot ensure it and we thought it was fairer to be a promoter. It is not right that he should be held responsible.”
- 1 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 2 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 3 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 4 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 5 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 6 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 7 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 8 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack