Call to protect historic buildings
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.
A Thetford councillor has called for more to be done to protect historic buildings.
Breckland Council is introducing a new so-called historic buildings champion and will have the role of “promoting the historic environment.”
But during a full council meeting, Terry Lamb said the role should be stronger and should be “ensuring” historic buildings were protected.
“I have been critical of this council's role on historic buildings and it not being effective enough. The council has allowed listed buildings to deteriorate over the years and to me it has been ineffective on particular incidents.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lamb added: “While I welcome this councillor being introduced, his responsibility should be to attempt to ensure rather than promote.”
Breckland leader William Nunn said: “A single member cannot ensure it and we thought it was fairer to be a promoter. It is not right that he should be held responsible.”
- 1 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 2 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 3 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 4 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 5 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 8 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Find out who made the Norfolk Day Drabble writing competition shortlist