Cadet Daniel's earthquake thrill
AN earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale was one of the highlights of a two-week trip to America for an air cadet from Mundford.Daniel Cooper, 18, a Cadet Warrant Officer of 864 (Watton) Squadron, was a guest of the Civil Air Patrol and was in Santa Barbara when the earth shuddered.
AN earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale was one of the highlights of a two-week trip to America for an air cadet from Mundford.
Daniel Cooper, 18, a Cadet Warrant Officer of 864 (Watton) Squadron, was a guest of the Civil Air Patrol and was in Santa Barbara when the earth shuddered. He was unhurt.
He said: “We were on an old wooden pier and I thought it was strange when we started swaying from side to side and things on the walls were rattling and falling off. This was when the earthquake struck 5.4 on the Richter scale.”
His visit was part of the International Air Cadet Exchange and featured four days in Washington DC before completing his exchange programme in California. The two weeks were packed with tours of cultural institutions, local aviation facilities and visits to military units including Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. In Washington DC the international air cadets also toured museums and monuments and the Military Cemetery at Arlington.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel added “A special moment for me during my stay in Washington DC was the visit to Arlington National Cemetery and in particular to see the changing of the guard which is a tremendous honour amongst American servicemen to be selected for such a duty.”
During the exchange Daniel was hosted by volunteer families and on military installations.
- 1 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 2 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 3 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 4 Teen to mark first ever flight - by jumping out of the plane for charity
- 5 New £39million hub officially opens to the public
- 6 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
- 7 Norfolk nursery nominated for national award
- 8 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 9 Part of A11 closed due to crash involving motorbike
- 10 A11 reopens after pigs escaped onto road