Town council’s by-election cancelled amid coronavirus outbreak
- Credit: Archant
A town council’s by-election has been cancelled following the coronavirus outbreak
Thetford Town Council’s by-election for its Castle Ward was set to go ahead on Thursday, April 2, but it has now been postponed in a bid to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
In a statement online, Breckland Council said: “By-elections scheduled to take place for one vacancy on Thetford Town Council, Castle Ward, will not take place as we take extra measures to prevent the risk of spreading coronavirus.
“We apologise for the short notice in postponing this by-election, but the safety of residents is of the most importance.”
Susie Dowling, labour candidate for the vacancy on Castle Ward, said: “I think it’s a good thing that it has been cancelled in the present circumstances, although it is quite frustrating for candidates it’s the right decision.
You may also want to watch:
“People shouldn’t be going out to polling stations to vote right now. We just want everybody to be safe.”
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 5 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 6 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 7 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 8 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Car crashes into central reservation on A11