Bright camels go on display as part of the Thetford Festival
It was an unusual activity but four Thetford schools rose to the challenge when they each decorated a camel sculpture as part of a competition to win �2,000.
Queensway Community Junior, Norwich Road Primary, Bishops Primary and Raleigh Infant School and Nursery were selected to paint the three-metre sculptures, donated by the nearby Shadwell Estate, which will be displayed as part of the Thetford Festival this week and next.
The camels were judged on Friday evening by the estate’s chairman, Mirza Al Sayegh, with Bishop’s Primary taking first place, winning the �2,000, Norwich Road Primary taking second place, receiving �1,000, and Raleigh Infant and Queensway Community Junior coming joint third, each receiving �375.
Colourful Camels was inspired by the brightly-coloured sculptures which adorn the streets of Dubai. The country’s ruling family owns the Shadwell Estate.
Finance director Chris Kennard said: “All the schools did brilliantly – it was a real struggle to decide which was the best one. They were all different and they’d obviously all thought about it.
You may also want to watch:
“We support the youth in many ways and if we can help spark that one person into finding something they’re very good at, that’s what it’s all about.” out.”ause everybody’s good at something.”
- 1 Police continue probe into murder of woman at country park
- 2 Brandon man handed three-year restraining order by judge
- 3 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 Woman, 73, convicted of forging second deceased partner's will
- 10 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond