Brandon hotelier flouted fire rules

PUBLISHED: 10:12 18 June 2008 | UPDATED: 21:07 07 July 2010

A Brandon hotelier who put the lives of guests at risk by flouting fire safety regulations was yesterday ordered to pay fines and costs totalling more than £200,000.

A Brandon hotelier who put the lives of guests at risk by flouting fire safety regulations was yesterday ordered to pay fines and costs totalling more than £200,000.

John Nevins, of the Brandon House Hotel, failed to meet fire safety rules over a two-year period while he made changes to the High Street building in Brandon, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

The hotel owner, of Hilborough Hall, Hilborough, admitted two offences of failing to notify the fire authority of structural alterations at the hotel and two offences of contravening the terms of a fire safety certificate.

Nevins, 59, who the court heard has assets of £10m, was fined a total of £145,000 and ordered to pay £58,000 costs.

Hugh Rowland, prosecuting, said the defendant became the owner of the 22-bedroom Brandon House Hotel in early 2003 and failed to notify the fire authority of plans to convert a function room into bedrooms. During a fire inspection in January 2004, it was discovered that one of the new bedrooms had no fire escape and could only be reached by going through another room.

The court heard that Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service returned to the hotel in May 2006 to find that changes had been made to the second floor landing that put guests and staff at serious risk of death or injury in the event of a fire.

Officers were so concerned that they served a prohibition notice banning the use of the whole of the second floor until changes had been made. There was no emergency lighting on the staircases, the door to one room was not a suitable fire door and there was poor construction of the walls and limited fire detection, the court heard.

Michael Clare, in mitigation, said that his client had since signed a document agreeing to co-operate with future inspections and he intended to make sure everything was up to scratch for an inspection in July. He added that Nevins now employed a general manager with experience in health and safety and hygiene.

“My client came to the hotel trade late in life and got himself into difficulties but since 2006 he has done his best to put things right,” he said.

Sentencing Nevins, Judge John Holt described his failure to meet fire safety regulations as “woeful”. “The potential for risk of serious injury to guests while they slept in your hotel was considerable,” he said.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Thetford and Brandon Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Thetford and Brandon Times