Books come to life
BOOKS will come to life in libraries across Norfolk next week.A unique mobile library service is to loan out real people with a tale to tell.
BOOKS will come to life in libraries across Norfolk next week.
A unique mobile library service is to loan out real people with a tale to tell.
Their true-life stories might include tragedy, mystery or romance, but all will be fact not fiction.
Norfolk is at the centre of the Human Library movement in Britain and next week the country's first mobile Human Library hits the road.
People in Thetford, Great Yarmouth, Dereham, Cromer, King's Lynn and Norwich will be able to browse, “borrow” a book and enjoy up to half an hour's conversation with their chosen title.
Every “book” will have a refugee theme as the library is part of national Refugee Week.
- 1 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 2 Council fighting not to have to publish details of golf club talks
- 3 Driver who altered date on expired Blue Badge ordered to pay out £3,500
- 4 Dog owners urged to take 'five-second test' before walking pets in heat
- 5 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 6 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 7 19th century buildings could return to original use as homes
- 8 Could you help to monitor standards inside this Norfolk prison?
- 9 Cable underneath Thetford could power 5,000-home development
- 10 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
People who have fled their home country because of war, violence and political persecution will be telling their stories.
Hear about the remarkable life of the 14-year-old who walked across Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland to try and escape the Nazis, and who became the only member of his entire extended family of parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins to survive the Holocaust.
Or meet a hospital doctor who arrived in Britain as a penniless three-year-old, fleeing Vietnamese death camps.
Just like at the real library, there is no charge to borrow a living library book, and “readers” can simply turn up at each event at:
Thetford Library on Monday June 14 from 10am to 1pm.
Yarmouth Library from 1-3pm on Tuesday June 15.
Dereham Library from 1-3pm on Wednesday June 16.
Cromer Library from 1-3pm on Thursday June 17.
King's Lynn Library from 1-3pm on Friday June 18.
The Forum, Norwich, from 12-5pm on Saturday June 19.