Apprenticeship success for Watton teenager
A teenager who was forced to miss out on three months of school is “excited” after being accepted on a London-based apprenticeship.
Jordon Moore, 16, from Blenheim Way, Watton, achieved one of the top four marks in the country in a higher diploma in construction and the built environment.
He said: “I was pleased because I had quite a bit of time off due to a rugby injury, so I wasn’t expecting to do half as well as I did.”
The teenager, who completed the two-year course at Wayland Community High School this summer, suffered with two slipped discs from a rugby game in February this year. He had to have an operation at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Despite that set back, he has earned a place on a costruction and management apprentiship with Oakdale Construction and Maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
The company, which has an office in Thompson, near Watton, carries out work in Canary Wharf, London.
During the two-year-course, Jordan will complete four days a week in the capital and one day a week at Norwich City College.
- 1 Plans submitted for Center Parcs-inspired retirement village
- 2 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 3 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 4 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 6 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 7 'Fantastic' students donate funds from cancelled prom to children's hospice
- 8 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
Speaking about the apprenticeship, the teenager said: “I’m a little bit nervous but also really excited.”
On completion of the course, he will be guaranteed a job with Oakdale Construction and Maintenance and hopes to become a manager.
Michael Rose, headteacher of Wayland Community High School, added: “I’m immensely proud of what Jordan has achieved. He is an exceptional kid.”