Appeal to get on your bike at new event near Thetford
Hundreds of cyclists are being encouraged to sign up to a new event aimed at raising awareness and funds for the sport.
Boudicca Sportive, to be held on June 10, will consist of three routes – 30, 70 or 100 miles – and will be a noncompetitive event.
Setting off from World Horse Welfare’s headquarters in Snetterton, the riders will follow a pre-determined, sign-posted route and timed during the course.
The sportive is being organised in conjunction with a number of local cycling clubs, lead by Lotus Cars Cycle Race League and British Cycling.
The event is non-profit making with the money raised being split between the East Anglian Air Ambulance, World Horse Welfare and a cycling events development fund which will help local cycling clubs improve the number and quality of events in the region.
British Cycling’s regional events officer, Sara Flatt, said: “There is a lot of good work being done by cycling clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk to promote all types and levels of cycling but very often they are held back by a lack of money or an understandable reluctance to expose themselves to financial risk.
“Many private and public sector organisations who would previously given the use of facilities for free are now looking for market rate hire charges and this is stifling the growth of the sport. “If we can build a fund that clubs can draw on it will help the region develop it’s competitive calendar and improve the accessibility of the sport to all ages and levels of the rider.”
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 5 Thetford-based haulier win national award following industry challenges
- 6 'Everyone is so excited': American sweet shop set to open in Thetford
- 7 Virus expert predicts Omicron will start 'outcompeting' Delta
- 8 Burglar jailed and labelled 'despicable' for betraying family who helped him
- 9 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 10 Cannabis producer told he could face jail
For more information visit www.lotuscycleracing.org/boudicca-sportive