Appeal to get on your bike at new event near Thetford
Hundreds of cyclists are being encouraged to sign up to a new event aimed at raising awareness and funds for the sport.
Boudicca Sportive, to be held on June 10, will consist of three routes – 30, 70 or 100 miles – and will be a noncompetitive event.
Setting off from World Horse Welfare’s headquarters in Snetterton, the riders will follow a pre-determined, sign-posted route and timed during the course.
The sportive is being organised in conjunction with a number of local cycling clubs, lead by Lotus Cars Cycle Race League and British Cycling.
The event is non-profit making with the money raised being split between the East Anglian Air Ambulance, World Horse Welfare and a cycling events development fund which will help local cycling clubs improve the number and quality of events in the region.
You may also want to watch:
British Cycling’s regional events officer, Sara Flatt, said: “There is a lot of good work being done by cycling clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk to promote all types and levels of cycling but very often they are held back by a lack of money or an understandable reluctance to expose themselves to financial risk.
“Many private and public sector organisations who would previously given the use of facilities for free are now looking for market rate hire charges and this is stifling the growth of the sport. “If we can build a fund that clubs can draw on it will help the region develop it’s competitive calendar and improve the accessibility of the sport to all ages and levels of the rider.”
- 1 7 of the best indoor activities in Norfolk
- 2 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Masked burglar hit victim with fake gun and threatened to shoot family dog
- 5 Flood-torn community 'in fear' every time it rains
- 6 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 7 Town's county councillors vow to tackle neglected underpasses
- 8 Flowers and windmill stolen from baby's grave
- 9 Norfolk police ready extra officers for delayed Covid 'Freedom Day'
- 10 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
For more information visit www.lotuscycleracing.org/boudicca-sportive