Appeal to get on your bike at new event near Thetford
Hundreds of cyclists are being encouraged to sign up to a new event aimed at raising awareness and funds for the sport.
Boudicca Sportive, to be held on June 10, will consist of three routes – 30, 70 or 100 miles – and will be a noncompetitive event.
Setting off from World Horse Welfare’s headquarters in Snetterton, the riders will follow a pre-determined, sign-posted route and timed during the course.
The sportive is being organised in conjunction with a number of local cycling clubs, lead by Lotus Cars Cycle Race League and British Cycling.
The event is non-profit making with the money raised being split between the East Anglian Air Ambulance, World Horse Welfare and a cycling events development fund which will help local cycling clubs improve the number and quality of events in the region.
British Cycling’s regional events officer, Sara Flatt, said: “There is a lot of good work being done by cycling clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk to promote all types and levels of cycling but very often they are held back by a lack of money or an understandable reluctance to expose themselves to financial risk.
“Many private and public sector organisations who would previously given the use of facilities for free are now looking for market rate hire charges and this is stifling the growth of the sport. “If we can build a fund that clubs can draw on it will help the region develop it’s competitive calendar and improve the accessibility of the sport to all ages and levels of the rider.”
- 1 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 7 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 10 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
For more information visit www.lotuscycleracing.org/boudicca-sportive