Air cadets in Watton take part in Remembrance services
Air cadets from Watton’s 864 squadron have been busy helping the town in commemorating its fallen heroes.
On Saturday the cadets joined several other local organisations in paying their respects at the war graves at St Mary’s Church, where they took part in a service of Remembrance and laid crosses on the graves, of first world war and second world war military personnel.
Cadet Sergeant Blockwell said of the ceremony: “I think it’s important that the young people from the town pay their respects to the fallen from both world wars and current conflicts. It’s so easy for people to forget what others have sacrificed so we can enjoy for the things we take for granted now.”
Sunday saw the cadets take part in the main service of Remembrance at the town’s war memorial, where the air cadets took part in the wreath laying. Other organisations and distinguished members from the community and surrounding areas also laid wreaths; everybody then took part in a two minutes silence, before being dismissed for the next part of the parade.
The cadets formed the band at the front of the parade just behind the standard bearers, where they provided the procession with music to march to. They then led the parade through the town to St Mary’s Church where the cadets took part in a full service of Remembrance, and were given the honour of providing the collection detail inside the church.
You may also want to watch:
Cadets Sergeant Batty, the NCO in charge of the band, said: “Again the band have done a great job representing the squadron in the town, and to be given the chance to lead a parade as important as this is an honour.”
- 1 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 2 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 3 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 4 A11 reopens following earlier collision
- 5 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Man found near air base with gun, axe and lock knife sentenced
- 8 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 9 Military drones to fly above Norfolk RAF base
- 10 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier