75 pints and 40 years later and Cedric’s still giving
At just 18-years-old and donating blood for the first time, Cedric Boddy could never have imagined he would be celebrating his 75th pint 39-years-later.
Mr Boddy, 56, from Thetford, gave his first donation in 1972 on a whim but has continued to do so ever since.
Now, Mr Boddy, a process operative in the town, has been presented with his 75th award by NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) in recognition of his achievement.
He said: “I started donating at a local community centre where I worked and have just carried on ever since.
“I like to think that the blood I’ve donated has helped to save many lives.
“I’m really chuffed to be receiving this award.”
Currently there are almost 1,000 active blood donors in Thetford but new donors are being encouraged to make a date in the area over the coming months to meet the demand from hospitals.
- 1 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 More F-35 squadrons to be stationed in Suffolk to boost US presence
- 4 Remarkable life of the Duleep Singhs explored in new exhibition
- 5 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 6 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 7 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 8 What the average Norfolk house price can buy you in the county's towns
- 9 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 10 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
Lead donor relations manager at NHSBT, Derek Carr, said: “It’s a great achievement that Mr Boddy has reached 75 donations and inspiring that he has been donating blood for almost forty years.
“Only three per cent of blood donors reach this milestone so he should be very proud of this achievement.”
Forthcoming sessions will take place at The Guildhall in Thetford today between 1pm and 3.15pm, and 4.30pm to 7pm, and on July 20 from 1pm to 3.15pm, and 4.30pm to 7pm.
First time donors should be aged between 17 and 65, weigh at least 50kg (seven stone 12lbs) and in general good health.
If people have donated before, they can start again up to their 70th birthday and there is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years.
To book an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk.