A familiar sight to both locals and tourists, the monument on the side of the A11 has been used as an indicator of Norfolk's border for decades. 

But have you ever wondered what the monument is actually for, rather than just a road marker?

Here we take a look at the history of one of the region's most recognisable landmarks - the Elveden War Memorial.

Thetford & Brandon Times: The Elveden War Memorial during its construction, 1919-1921The Elveden War Memorial during its construction, 1919-1921 (Image: Newsquest)

Initially erected to honour the First World War dead, the memorial stands at the point where three parishes meet.

Eriswell, Icklingham and Elveden lie to the south, east and west of the column, with each face commemorating the 48 men lost in the Great War. 

READ MORE: Castle ruins that hold the secrets to Norfolk's past

Commissioned by the Earl of Iveagh of Elveden, the Corinthian column is 127ft tall and sits upon an elevated square base. 

Taking two years to erect, the column was completed in 1921, unveiled on November 21 by Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson, and dedicated by the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.

Thetford & Brandon Times: The unveiling of the memorial in May 1921 which drew a large crowdThe unveiling of the memorial in May 1921 which drew a large crowd (Image: Newsquest)

Prince Frederick Duleep Singh, the younger son of Duleep Singh - the former owner of the Elveden Estate - also attended the unveiling ceremony.

Lord Iveagh's instructions to the architect were that it should be taller than the Earl of Leicester Monument at Holkham Hall but not taller than Nelson's Column in London. 

READ MORE: The 'ghost angels' that haunt a ruined Norfolk Church

A further six names were added for lives lost during the Second World War, and the monument was awarded a Grade II listing in May 1954.

The north face of the column contains a doorway from which there is a 148-step staircase to the top and a nearby lay-by can be used to visit the site.