First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 2 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 6 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 7 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 8 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 9 Liz Truss sidesteps leadership question as she backs 'fantastic' PM
- 10 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer