Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- Credit: Archant Library
Since opening in 1989, the Center Parcs at Elveden near Thetford has been a favourite spot for forest breaks filled with recreational activities and relaxation opportunities.
Today we are sharing pictures of the resort in its earliest days.
The original proposal by the Dutch-based company to develop land on the outskirts of Thetford emerged in 1987.
It was predicted that the £70m investment would create 450-600 jobs and bring £8.5m to the local economy each year.
The promise of a spectacular sub-tropical swimming paradise, winding bicycle paths, sports, spas and comfortable accommodation that immersed visitors in nature wooed holidaymakers from all over the UK and beyond.
In 2002, a devastating blaze tore through the central plaza and the resort we see today rose from the ashes left behind.
Were you one of the first guests at the Elveden Forest Center Parcs? Do you remember childhood holidays there in the 1990s?
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 3 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 4 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 5 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 6 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 7 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 8 'Delightful' pug and 'loveable' rottweiler among dogs looking for new homes
- 9 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 10 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
If so, please enjoy these photos from our archives that capture the resort in its early years.