Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- Credit: Archant Library
Since opening in 1989, the Center Parcs at Elveden near Thetford has been a favourite spot for forest breaks filled with recreational activities and relaxation opportunities.
Today we are sharing pictures of the resort in its earliest days.
The original proposal by the Dutch-based company to develop land on the outskirts of Thetford emerged in 1987.
It was predicted that the £70m investment would create 450-600 jobs and bring £8.5m to the local economy each year.
The promise of a spectacular sub-tropical swimming paradise, winding bicycle paths, sports, spas and comfortable accommodation that immersed visitors in nature wooed holidaymakers from all over the UK and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
In 2002, a devastating blaze tore through the central plaza and the resort we see today rose from the ashes left behind.
Were you one of the first guests at the Elveden Forest Center Parcs? Do you remember childhood holidays there in the 1990s?
- 1 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 4 Drugs most often seized by Norfolk police revealed
- 5 US servicemen commemorate death of RAF Lakenheath pilot in crash tragedy
- 6 Six figure commitment agreed to pursue Suffolk bus improvement strategy
- 7 Care home creates mini golf course in its garden
- 8 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 9 School praised for 'effective action' to address serious failings
- 10 Should Covid jabs be made mandatory for care home workers?
If so, please enjoy these photos from our archives that capture the resort in its early years.